Monday, February 19, 2007

The Departed


When I see a movie like this it makes me wonder: Are there REALLY people out there like this? It completely freaks me out! The Departed is an indepth look at corruption in the Massachusettes State Police and the Irish Mob. Leonardo DiCaprio stars as Billy Costigan, a statie assigned to infiltrate a crime syndicate run by Frank Costello (Jack Nicolson). Matt Damon is the darling of the Massachusettes State Police, however he has close ties to Costello is always tipping off the mob boss to police investigations. Damon is assigned the task of smoking out the rat in Costello's group and DiCaprio must discover the leak in the State Police Department. Sound confusing? It isn't, really, it is just hard for me to describe well! This is definately a gritty film. Lots of rough language and more violence than Black Xmas, but it is a good movie. It is 2 1/2 hours long, which was way too long for me. The suspense was so great that halfway through I ended up googling the film on my cell phone to find out ahead of time who would live and who would die. Definately good for a rental or a trip to the bargin movies, where I saw it. I am not a fan of Jack Nicolson, even though the world loves him, I think he plays the same character in every movie. Maybe I would have liked The Departed more if he wasn't in it. However, as much as I think Nicolson is over-rated, I think Leonardo DiCaprio is under-rated. His perfomance was excellent. Unlike Nicolson, I think he really acts. Matt Damon was excellent also as were Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg in supporting roles.

1 comment:

Mike Holmes said...

Hi Ing,
It's Mike Holmes, Ben's Dad.

I couldn't agree with you more about this movie.
I was very hesitant to even go see it. Why? Because I have never been fan of Leonardo DiCaprio, but you know what, he was awesome in this movie. I guess he's finally grown up in my mind. Or perhaps I thought Titanic permanently damaged my opinion of him, but I guess I was wrong. And Damon is always good, one of the best "young" actors out there. And its directed by Scorsese, love his work. And Jack is a joke anymore. He's pretty much a characicature of himself.

Oh well,
Enjoyed this review. I actually have my "blog" up now as well (no reviews yet, just my own top 10 lists) and its at www.holmes-ink.com/blog

Take Care,
Mike "old dude" Holmes